The story of UT Southwestern Medical Center is one of commitment to excellence, dedication to discovery, and service to the community. It’s also a story of phenomenal growth, fueled by exceptional people with an extraordinary vision: to establish an academic medical center second to none.
Since its formation in 1943, Southwestern Medical School has grown from a small wartime medical college into UT Southwestern Medical Center, a multifaceted academic institution nationally recognized for its excellence in educating physicians, biomedical scientists, and health-care personnel.
Under the leadership of the late Dr. Edward H. Cary and Karl Hoblitzelle, a group of prominent Dallas citizens organized Southwestern Medical Foundation in 1939 to promote medical education and research in Dallas and the region. When Baylor University elected to move its school of medicine from Dallas to Houston in 1943, the foundation formally established Southwestern Medical College as the 68th medical school in the United States. For more information click here.